New covered bike parking area
The new covered bike parking area in Grey Street is now open. There is free parking for 59 bikes in a Dutch two-tier rack inside a glass bus-stop style shelter on the corner of Grey Street and Featherston Street (next to the public shower and toilets).
News release and video showing how to use the upper level of the new rack.
- The motorbike parking in this spot has moved just around the corner to Featherston Street, adjacent to the existing motorbike parking (there is still parking for about 18 motorbikes).
- Two 2-hour pay-and-display car parking spaces on Featherston Street were removed to provide space for the motorbikes.
How this will help
- Providing safe and convenient bike parking is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to support cycling as a travel choice.
- It provides an essential facility, and more bikes in public places helps to encourage more people to cycle.
- This is one of a series of planned changes to improve connections and make it safer and easier for people to get places in the central city by bike.
- Incremental changes like these – combined with the more substantial changes likely through the Let’s Get Wellington Moving project – will together help to create a better cycling network.
How we got here and next steps
- The feedback period on the traffic changes (resolutions) related to this proposal was 25 July to 11 August 2017.
- Councillors approved the proposal on 14 September 2017.
- Other changes recommended by the Central City Area Working Group are being considered. Some – including improvements to crossings to the waterfront – may happen as part of routine upgrade programmes. Others will require traffic resolutions that will be advertised at a later date.
Supporting documents for Grey Street bike parking