We're making it safer and easier for people who ride bikes
The changes will provide a greater level of protection for people on bikes in an area where there is a lot of traffic, including buses. It will also make things easier for people who are driving to safely pass people riding bikes.
- All the parking spaces on the uphill side of the street between Coromandel Street and Alexandra Road (about five), and about three parking spaces on the downhill side, will be removed.
- Sharrow road markings (the cycle symbol and arrow) will be painted on the downhill traffic lane. This will also provide a clear transition back into the main traffic lane from the uphill bike lane on Crawford Road.
- There will be green wait areas (stop boxes) at the traffic signals at the Coromandel Street intersection.
- Sections of green surfacing will be installed near the Alexandra Road intersection to make this safer and clearly designate the bike lane.
- Some parking spaces on the uphill side of the street, including two spaces at the bottom near Childers Terrace, will be removed.
- Some car parks on the downhill side will be moved across to the uphill side between numbers 30 and 40 Crawford Road.
- Sharrow road markings (the cycle symbol and arrow) will be painted on the downhill traffic lane.
- A new pedestrian crossing will be installed near Naughton Terrace to make it easier for residents to cross Crawford Road.
- The painted median will be removed on some sections of Crawford Road.
On both streets
- There will be changes to the kerbs around the bus stops to bring the bike lanes up to footpath level, to make it easy for people getting on and off buses. There will be red pavement markings to show these areas are shared with people on foot.
- The bike lanes will be clearly designated by rubber separators on the road (similar to the one in Rugby Street).
- Mountable rubber speed control strips will be installed at driveways to remind people driving to take extra care as they cross the bike lanes.
What to expect during construction
- On Constable Street contractors will start at the Coromandel Street intersection and work up towards the top of the hill.
- Two traffic lanes will operate at peak and most times, however traffic will be down to one lane at times. Traffic management will be in place. This will include safe arrangements for people on bikes and on foot around the work site.
- The parking that is going will be removed early in the construction and will not be reinstated.
- The bus stops will be temporarily relocated near the existing stops while changes are made.
- Work hours will generally be Monday to Friday, 7am–6pm, but activity on the road will happen outside peak times between 9am and 4pm.
- Contractors will work with individuals on access in and out of their properties/driveways.
Contractors will be:
- Digging out old kerbs and gutters and pouring new ones
- Breaking and removing old asphalt and concrete
- Laying new paths at the bus stops
- Marking the bike paths with green and red surfacing
- Resealing and remarking the road.
Where work is happening:
- Diggers, trucks and other machinery will be operating at times so expect some noise.
- The median strip will be out of action at times.
- Traffic management will be in place.
Constable Street and Crawford Road details
between Coromandel Street and Rongotai Road