Approved solution: Bike lanes both sides of the road and parallel parking
Why this solution?
This is a low-cost way to make interim safety improvements for people on bikes along part of Thorndon Quay.
- Bike lanes will be painted on the road between the parking and traffic on both sides of the road between Davis Street and Mulgrave Street.
- The width of the bike lanes will vary from 1.6m to 2.4m.
- All angle parking on the Westpac Stadium side will be changed to parallel parking.
- There will be 45 parallel car parks on this side of the street (reduced from the 97 spaces currently provided).
- 11 parallel car parks outside the city end of Capital Gateway will be removed.
- All 10 hour parking will change to 6 hours.
- No changes to parking on the western side.
- Traffic lanes will be narrowed to 3.5m, except where they are already narrower.
- The painted median strip will be shifted slightly with minor changes in width.
- The morning peak citybound clearway will be retained.
Read the full traffic resolution (227KB PDF) and plans (5.1MB PDF)
See how the proposed changes compare to the current layout
We have received feedback from the community about this project. Click here to view the summary graphs.