A major upgrade of this intersection is still under discussion to make it much more pedestrian and bike friendly, but the timing is uncertain.
Improvements that have been considered and may be included in a future upgrade are:
- four new signalised crossings so people on bikes and on foot can safely cross the SH2 on-ramp, the adjacent road (off-ramp) under the motorway, Hutt Road and Jarden Mile
- new kerb ramps, bike and pedestrian cross-now lights, and wide crossings to cater for people walking and biking at all four locations
- new bike paths through the traffic island at the bottom of the gorge near the SH2 on-ramp following the existing short-cuts (desire lines) people use to get across this grassy area
- improvements at the three bus stops that are close to the intersection
- two new sections of bus lane on each side of the intersection to assist city-bound buses
- improvements to the camber of the road heading north up the gorge (the first part of Centennial Highway just north of Jarden Mile)
- resealing the intersection and new road markings.