Section 1: Between Rangiora Avenue and Westminster Street
New on-road parking
We have created some new on-road parking between Winger BMW and Placemakers, and phased out the informal footpath parking on the footpath.
Why this solution?
The informal footpath parking has been progressively phased out. Some new on-road parking was installed in March/April 2018 for businesses along the route.
- There are about 70 new on-street car parking spaces north of Westminster Street, between Winger BMW and Placemakers’ driveway.
- This parking is available at all times except during the busy morning peak, Monday to Friday 7am-9.30am, when a clearway is in place.
- Apart from during the morning peak, drivers have to merge from two lanes to one just after the pedestrian crossing near Placemakers and Rangiora Street.
- There are still two lanes for traffic during the morning clearway (no T2 or bus lanes are proposed at this stage).
- In Westminster Street the P60 restriction was changed to 9am-6pm.
Section 2: Between Aotea Quay overbridge and Tinakori Road
Hutt Road separated pathways
We have widened and upgraded the shared path between Aotea Quay overbridge and Tinakori Road intersection, to create separated biking and walking paths using the Council-owned road reserve land alongside the old shared path.
Why this solution?
Creating separated paths here has greatly improved safety for people commuting by bike or on foot, and connects to the paths north of the Aotea Quay overbridge.
- There are separated, wider paths for people walking and biking.
- The paths have been resurfaced with asphalt and concrete.
- There were no changes to on-street parking.
- One business lost their encroachment on Council-owned land.
How we got here and next steps
- The feedback period on proposed traffic changes (resolutions) for this project was 26 September to 16 October 2017.
- Councillors approved proposals to create the additional car parking and extend the upgrade of the pathway to the Tinakori Road intersection in late November 2017.
- The upgrade work happening on Hutt Road was completed in late 2018 except for the widening of the Kaiwharawhara Stream bridge (now expected to happen in the first half of 2019).
Read the Traffic Resolution Report that went out for consultation.
We received feedback from the community about this project. Click here to view the summary graphs.