Making it possible for more people to make more low-carbon trips requires some changes to how we use space on our streets. This means changes to parking in some areas.
Where these street changes are planned in Thorndon, about 150 on-street car parks (mainly short-stay P120 parks) will be removed and about 370 on-street car parks of various types will remain.
There are more than 10 privately operated off-street parking facilities within 5-10 minutes' walk of the area, and several key destinations have off-street parking for customers, such as Thorndon Pool and New World.
New time-restricted parking, or changes to existing time-restrictions, are proposed in several locations to mitigate the impacts for visitors, as well as three new mobility car parks, two car share parks, and new P5/P10 car parks near schools during drop-off and pick-up times.
- Replace two P60/P120 car parks outside 277 Tinakori Road with a community parklet
- One new mobility park outside 320 Tinakori Road (remove one P60/P120 parking space)
- Replace one P120 car park opposite 241 Tinakori Road with 6m of broken yellow lines (No Stopping) to improve visibility for the pedestrian crossing
- Replace one resident car park with 5m of broken yellow lines (No Stopping) to improve visibility of kerb build outs for pedestrians
- Change the Hill Street bus stop to provide six P5 car parks for pick-up and drop-off 8am-9am and 2pm-3pm, Monday to Friday, during school terms (it will be a bus stop at all other times)
- Change the existing angled parking to parallel parking on the southern side of Aitken Street, and change six P10 and 28 P$ metered car parks to four P10 and 10 P$ metered car parks
- Relocate the existing tour bus stop on Aitken Street outside the National Library 12m east, replacing two P$ metered car parks
- Install a new mobility parking space on Aitken Street near the Molesworth/Aitken intersection directly outside the National Library entrance
- Reduce the existing motorbike parking on the National Library side of Aitken Street from 18m to 12m and create one P$ metered car park
- Remove one P$ metered car park on the south side of Pipitea Street near the Molesworth/Pipitea intersection and install 6m of broken yellow lines (No Stopping) for the new raised pedestrian platform
- Change one P$ metered car park to one P$ metered mobility parking space on Pipitea Street outside NZ Rugby House
- Remove one P$ metered parking space on the north side of Pipitea Street near the Molesworth Street intersection and install 5m of broken yellow lines (No Stopping)
- Replace two P$ metered car parks with two new Diplomatic Corp parks outside the High Commission of India at 72 Pipitea Street
- Replace one P$ metered car park with one new Diplomatic Corp park outside 39 Pipitea Street
- Remove 19 P$ metered car parks on right side of lower Molesworth Street for the two-way bike lane
- Remove 47 P$ metered car parks and one mobility car park on right side of upper Molesworth Street for one-way bike lane
- Relocate five motorbike parking spaces from right side to left side, replacing one P$ metered car park
- Relocate one mobility parking space outside Parliament on Molesworth Street
- Install two new car share spaces, replacing two P$ metered car parks
- Install two new taxi stand spaces, replacing two P$ metered car parks.
- Remove school bus stop 5500 from 7am-9am and 12 P$ metered car parks at other times; this bus stop will be relocated to Stout Street
- Relocate the existing bus stop on the north-eastern side of Bunny Street to the south-western side
- Change the existing full-time loading zone to a bus stop 7am-9am and 3.30pm-6pm, Monday to Friday; and a loading zone at all other times
- Remove 13 P$ metered car parks on the right side of Murphy Street between Halswell Street and the signalised pedestrian crossing outside New World and install broken yellow lines to make space for protected one-way bike lane.
- Install four new P10 car parks for pick-up and drop-off between 8.30am-9.30am and 2.30pm-3.30pm, Monday to Friday, at 26 Murphy Street during the period when the Thorndon Pool is closed only.
- Remove 13 P$ metered parking spaces and install broken yellow lines (No Stopping) to make space for protected one-way bike lane.
- Change 22 angled P$ metered car parks to school bus stop 5500 between 7am-9am and 3:30pm-6pm Monday – Friday, and then 12 P$ metered parallel car parks at other times
Where else you can park
For people who do need to drive, there is still lots of parking in the Thorndon area. We are supporting people to get around in different ways and parking changes like these are part of preparing the city for the future.
In the side streets, there are still car parks available but some restrictions may change.
There are numerous Wilson Parking car parks in the area providing off-street car parks for visitors, including:
- 1 Ballantrae Place
- 22-28 Hill Street
- 21-57 Molesworth Street – Wellington Cathedral
- 100 Molesworth Street – Rugby NZ
- 9/15 Little Pipitea Street
- 48 Mulgrave Street
- 38 Murphy Street
- 81-87 Thorndon Quay
- 83 Waterloo Quay
- Halswell Street
750 commuter car parks are also available during the week at Sky Stadium through Care Park at 105 Waterloo Quay, which is approximately 5-10 minutes' walk from Thorndon.
For more, read the Parking Management Plan