Bus, bike and pedestrian improvements on Chaytor Street will make journeys between Karori and the city safer and easier for everyone. Between the Karori Tunnel and Karori Road, we’re proposing to:
- create a new shared path through Appleton Park, from near the Birdwood Street intersection to near the tennis courts
- install an uphill bike lane on Chaytor Street from the bus stop near the tennis court, ending at a shared path near the corner of the intersection of Chaytor Street and Karori Road
- remove 260m of downhill bus lane as far as Curtis Street so the uphill bike lane can be installed, as suggested by Metlink to improve overall bus journey times
- paint no stopping lines next to the bike lane on Chaytor Street, except for one mobility park and four unrestricted car parks
- increase the length of most bus stops to 20 metres.
On Chaytor Street, the proposal is to remove 26 of the 63 unrestricted car parks.
The proposal would:
- remove 26 unrestricted car parks
- convert four unrestricted parks to time restricted parks
- convert one unrestricted space to a mobility car park.
Approximately 90 percent of properties on Chaytor Street have off-street parking. The effect of these changes for residents will be low.